Wednesday 1 August 2012

Norfolk adventure - day two

 

In the village of Walsingham where we were staying, there is an old fashioned steam train which runs directly to the coastal town of Wells next the Sea - a favourite of mine!  In the morning we caught the train and sat on uncovered seats, which may have been a small mistake as traveling at 5mph for thirty minutes when it's windy was quite uncomfortable!  It was great to feel as if you were just cutting through the fields and the woodland though, as the train tracks were so narrow.  

Once in Wells, we walked to the main high street in search of one of the best cakes we have ever tasted (we had one of these when we visited last summer).  It is a chocolatey, peanut buttery, nougarty delight and completely indulgent!  We had a look around some of the charity shops and old book shops and I purchased one new (old) ladybird book all about how to crochet.  A wonderful book to add to my every growing collection and also useful as I have been attempting to learn how to crochet for many months now with little success!  On that note, I received the new issue of Mollie Makes through my letter box this morning, and the free gift is an oh so cute wooden crochet hook!

We eventually caught the steam train back to Walsingham (this time opting to sit on covered seats).  We then jumped in our car and drove over to Cromer for the remainder of the afternoon.  We browsed around a few more charity, junk and book shops, where I picked up a 1950s children's illustrated dictionary for 50 pence and embarked on finding a whippy ice cream to enjoy while we strolled along the pier.  


We decided to try out a restaurant in Walsingham for our dinner.  There is a fish and chip shop with a restaurant attached called The Norfolk Riddle.  After looking at the menu and seeing no accommodation for vegetarians, I was a little concerned I would be ending up with simply a big plate of chips.  However, I must say that I was really impressed with the service of the staff.  On stating that I am a vegetarian, the waiter spoke to the chef who then offered me an entire range of dishes to choose from.  I opted for a goats cheese, olive and artichoke filo parcel, and it was amazing!  Myself and Steve also sampled some local beers and ciders alongside our meals, delicious!

So that was our second day. I already wish I could go back, I feel that I have not yet got my complete fix of seaside this summer!  One more stream of photographs to go...

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've just had a little catch up with your posts (: Looks like you've had a lovely time in Norfolk, I love it there although I've only been once or twice. I just love the seaside, but it hasn't been sunny enough near me to go and enjoy it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard the little poem 'a sailor went to sea, sea, sea..' for absolutely years! :-)
    Hope you had a lovely time!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely.
    Learning to crochet is confusing, but once you get it you'll be away! I found that watching youtube videos and actually seeing hands doing crochet helped me :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...