Tuesday 1 January 2013

Tequila

I'm not sure if you noticed, but last night was New Years Eve - so happy 2013 everyone!
Being the old lady trapped inside a mid twenty-somethings body that I am, I've never been hugely keen on New Years celebrations.  Paying extortionate amounts of money for entry to a pub or club and double rate taxis makes me grumpy (as do many things) and this time of year is COLD.  I like being inside, where it's warm and cosy.

A couple of years ago, we (myself and Steve) found that the 31st of December was looming and there were not many appealing options.  We then decided that we would have a Mexican night - basically cook and eat tonnes of Mexican food, drink tequila and perhaps wear ridiculous Mexican attire.  This year, we decided to welcome this idea once again - I think it may now become a tradition - and were joined by two of our closest friends from Leicester.



I can only speak for myself, but I had a great evening! I was however feeling rather warm after cooking up a rather impressive (if I do say so myself) Mexican feast.  In my opinion, a perfect way to welcome a brand spanking new year.  Friends, games, music, food and tequila.  Did I mention tequila?


Yesterday afternoon before our friends arrived, I had an urge to bake.  I remembered that I had seen recipes for Margarita cupcakes before and was curious to try them out.  All the essentials plus a copious amount of limes were present in my kitchen but no butter or buttermilk - so off to Tesco it was, which proved to be a nightmare as expected!  I don't know what happens to people at this time of year but people suddenly lose the ability to be in any kind of social situation i.e. cannot navigate around a car park.  Anyway, we made it out in one piece with a bag of baking ingredients and home I came to start making these.

This is an American recipe using cups.  I always find that my baking is much more successful when I use cups as opposed to weighing scales.  The result was superb!  These cupcakes were really delicious (there are two left so a small treat is in order this afternoon) and they were easy peasy.  The one alteration that I made to the recipe was to add I quite a bit more icing sugar to the frosting as the recipe produced a topping of a very thin consistency - no good for piping!  For all you tequila lovers out there - I thoroughly recommend.

I hope that you all have a fantastic New Years Eve where ever you were and what ever you were doing.  Here is to 2013 - time to get super creative.

1 comment:

  1. Ah I've seen recipes in the past for these cakes but always thought it would be too much hassle but I may give them a go (: I've never managed to find buttermilk before so obviously I just need to search harder. Happy New Year (: xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...